Jesus, be my FIRST Love always
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
“Let God work His will in you.” (v 7 MSG)
MOTIVES THAT MALIGN (v 1-3)
Father, You know my heart even better than I know my heart. Cause my motives to move more in line with Yours. Scoop out the selfish stuff and fill me up with Your selflessness. You’ve said, when You were here as Jesus, “If anyone would come after Me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow Me.” (Matthew 16:24 NIV). I do want to follow You. Help me with the denying self and the cross bearing.
TIES THAT BIND (v 4-5)
“…friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God?”
Father, if there are ties to this world that I have that are binding me to it and keeping me from You, please make me aware of them and help me to sever them. I want a thriving, growing, fulfilling friendship with You … whatever it takes.
CHOICES THAT THRIVE (v 6-10)
As I move forward in my growth in You, Lord, and away from misaligned motives and ties, guide me toward choosing actions that allow my relationship with You to grow deeper and richer:
- SUBMIT myself to You, to let You work Your will in me.
- RESIST the devil; to yell a loud NO to him and watch him scamper.
- COME NEAR to You; to say a quiet YES to You and You’ll come near to me.
- WASH my mind; to quit dabbling in sin.
- PURIFY my heart, my inner life–no double-mindedness allowed; no “playing the field” (MSG)
- GRIEVE, mourn and wail; allow me to hit bottom, cry my eyes out.
- CHANGE my laughter to mourning; “The fun and games are over.” Make me “serious, really serious” about following You.
- HUMBLE myself before You, so You can lift me up. Remind me daily to “Get down on your knees before the Master; it’s the only way you’ll get on your feet.” (v 10 MSG)
…as You reshape my heart, my mind, my motives, my choices to be just like Jesus.’ Amen.